History of the Brunswick Police Department

The Brunswick Police Department has a long tradition of providing protection of lives and property to the citizens of the city of Brunswick. The department has the primary responsibility for enforcing city ordinances as well as state traffic and criminal laws within the city.

Under the original city charter of 1838, the person in charge of the original city law enforcement agency was “the sheriff” so there was a city sheriff and a county sheriff. One of the duties of the city sheriff and his constables was to apprehend violators who discharged weapons on Sundays. The fine for the first offense was $2.00. Under the present charter of 1856, the Brunswick Police Department head became the Chief of Police, also known as the Marshal, and was elected each January (along with an Assistant Chief) by the City Commission. In January of 1890, the pay for Chief was set at $1,200.00 per year and the Chief was to maintain his horse at his own expense. The salary for the one mounted officer that year was $2.00 per day and 35 cents per day for horse feed. Walking patrol officers were also paid $2.00 per day.

 

 Original 1896 Arrest Warrant

Early Chief Marshals for the City of Brunswick

1856Chief/Marshal Dennis L. Goodbread
1858Chief/Marshal William Lundy
1890Chief/Marshal A.H. Houston
1903Chief/Marshal S.A. Burney
1911Chief/Marshal A.L. Owens
Feb 1918 - 1919Chief/Marshal Phil E. Burgess

 

Police Chiefs: 1919 to Present

1919 to March 1956J. E. Register
April 1956 to 1961Jimmy Bisson
1961 to December 31, 1965Rex Deaver
January 1966 to January 1975W.W. Branch
January 1975 to October 1979R.R. (Bob) Lyons
April 1980 to July 1983Gene Douglas
September 1983 to July 1990Jimmy Carter
November 1990 to June 1993Jack Sidoran
May 1994 to August 2003T.C. Cowan
August 2003 to July 2004 (Interim)Edna H. Johnson
July 2004 to July 2010Edna H. Johnson
July 2010 to April 2011 (Interim)Tobe C. Green
April 2011 to August 2014Tobe C. Green
August 2014 to March 2015 (Interim)Jimmy Carter
March 2015 to PresentKevin M. Jones

The current police station was built in 1939 with an additional wing added to the original structure in 1974.  The old jail portion of the station remained until the early 1980’s when the  bars were finally cut out.  That renovation provided office space for investigative and training personnel and training classrooms.  The most recent renovation commenced in August of 2012 with the demolition of an old lab and storage building that previously stood behind headquarters and the demolition of ninety percent of the interior walls inside the headquarters building.  Both phases of construction, the renovation of the original 1939 building and the construction of an entirely new building where the lab once stood, progressed simultaneously until the project was completed in July of 2014.  The new building houses the Criminal Investigative Services division, a lab, and a fitness center.

Upcoming Events

Follow BPD on Twitter