We are actively hiring for the position of Police Officer. Full time candidates do not need to be law enforcement certified. Part time candidates MUST be POST certified, in good standing, and have verifiable on the road experience!
The Brunswick Police Department needs mature, self-disciplined, and highly motivated people who are committed to the ever expanding and rewarding field of law enforcement.
Our department accepts applications for patrol officers candidates who are already certified in the state of Georgia year-round. Non-certified applicants who qualify for a partial Hope Grant through the State of Georgia will be considered for employment. (Those interested in additional information on this grant should contact Savannah Technical College’s Peace Officer Academy, Savannah, Georgia (19 week Pre-Service Program) at 912-443-5191.)
For otherwise qualified candidates, upon successful completion of the hiring process, our agency will sponsor you and pay you while attending the police academy. No law enforcement experience is required.
Please read our qualifications and benefits below. After a self qualifications check, please follow the link at the bottom of this page, to complete and submit an initial online application. From that point, I will contact you via EMAIL, to participate in our physical efficiency battery (PEB).
Thank you, and I look forward to getting you onboard our premier agency!
Cpl. Paul M. George
To be considered for employment as a Police Officer you must:
- Be at least twenty one (21) years of age
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Upon hire, must live within a one hour drive of the city limits of Brunswick
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- If applicable, DD214 must reflect an honorable or general discharge
- Have no record of conviction of a felony or a sufficient number of misdemeanors to show a pattern of disregard for the law
- Have no misdemeanor convictions involving sexual misconduct, resistance/obstruction of law enforcement or domestic violence
- Complete and submit a written application to the Director of Human Resources and sign a waiver for personal inquiry
- No illicit drug use of ANY kind within two years of application
You will also be required to pass:
- A physical efficiency battery (PEB), also known as a physical fitness test. A cumulative score of 350 is required to pass. Click here to view the test and scores.
- A POST entrance exam. Click here to view the approved tests and scores. Print the form and contact a college or university near you to complete the test. You are exempt if you are (1) POST law enforcement certified, (2) or can provide previous passing scores, (3) or if you have an Associate’s Degree or higher.
- Will be required to complete a ride-a-long with a patrol officer. Click here to print the ride along waiver. Once completed, return it to our records clerk and you will be scheduled after processing.
- A psychological exam
- A polygraph and/or CVSA exam
- A oral board interview
- An extensive background check
- A final interview with the Chief of Police
- A conditional offer of employment will then be extended, contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam and drug screening.
The Brunswick Police Department offers the following benefits to officers:
- Uniforms, firearms and equipment
- Field Training Officer positions for qualified officers, which includes a pay increase
- Opportunities for advancement to Officer 1st Class,
- Competitive promotional exams for advancement to Corporal, Sergeant and Lieutenant
- Professional training in excess of the required annual 20 hours
- 12 hour shifts for patrol officers with three days off every other weekend
- Patrol officers work a 2-2-3-2 schedule. Work two days, off two, work three, off two. Then the following week you’ll have two days off, work two, off three and work two.
- Specialized units: Narcotics/Vice Investigations, K-9 unit, Bike Patrol, Traffic Enforcement, Criminal Investigation Division (CID), SWAT, Marine Patrol, FBI Task Force, CAPAC Unit, Training and Support Services Unit (some units include a pay increase, while assigned)
As an employer, the City of Brunswick provides exceptional career opportunities and compensation:
- Competitive salary: $14.89/hr while attending the police academy; $16.59/hr upon POST certification. Salary increases for civilian law enforcement years of service.
- Full benefits package, Health, Life & Disability
- Take home patrol car
- 10 Holidays per year
- Comprehensive health insurance available which includes Well Care, Prescription Drug Plan, and Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- City of Brunswick retirement plan
- Accrued sick leave: 12 paid sick days per year
- Employer paid Life/Accidental Death Plan
- Deferred compensation plan
- Paid vacation: 12 paid vacation days per year, 18 days after 10 years of service
- Extensive training opportunities
- Employee assistance program
- Credit Union membership
- Optional payroll deductions for Brunswick Police Association, Police Benevolent Association, and Peace Officers Annuity and Benefit Fund membership dues
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information on joining our team of dedicated professionals, please feel free to contact our Recruiting Officer, Cpl. Paul George, at 912-267-5515 or via e-mail.
For information on police academies in this area, please read Police Academy Information.